IGNORED

Hearing Protection Act

Stevo

Looks like soon Silenced Guns will be the norm. Suppressors will be removed from the NFA and anyone who paid the $200.00 tax as of 2015 would be refunded. Of course State Laws would still be in affect which makes them illegal in NJ but you could buy and use them in states like Pa. Suppressors are a lot of money to buy let alone pay the $200.00 NFA Tax on top. Cheap ones are out there but make accuracy suffer. I would like to see Suppressors mandatory on all AR's at Ranges. I'm tired of getting blown off my bench buy a yahoo and his side braked .223 putting 15 down range in 15 seconds. Get one yahoo on each side and you might as well pack it up trying to get any real Rifle work done. It's hard to effectively use all you marksmanship skills when you are being showered with 223 Brass and you pencil is being blown off the table by muzzle blast.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

One would hope that if this passes, just by allowing large numbers of gun owners to buy suppressors, the prices would come down substantially over time.  I also think that we as gun owners need to call them what they are, "suppressors" and not "silencers" which they are not.  Hollywood has all the liberals believing they make guns silent instead of just cutting down on the noise to levels below what we need ear protection for.  We fall into their trap when we also call them silencers.  If we explain to the non-shooting people that our guns will be far less loud, they would likely be willing to support such laws.  But if they think a gun will truly be "silent" which might make gun crime easier, then they aren't likely to support the effort to allow them.  

I'm only a few short years from (hopefully) moving to PA where I plan to own a suppressed AR or two.   

Watch this video and listen to the supressed and un-suppressed shots (he does it in the middle of the video) - these are certainly not "silencers":

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/01/14/gun-silencer-law-introduced-blackwell-dnt.cnn

I will say, the guy at the end that is against this law made a good point. While hunting, it could be considered a good idea not to have shots suppressed because it allows other hunters in the area to better be able to know another hunter is around and is engaged in firing. So from a safety standpoint, it might be a good idea not to allow suppressors while hunting. But then, a suppressed shot is still going to be pretty loud, so I don't think its a major safety issue as that guy wants people to think.

That said, I agree with you Stevo - I can't stand sitting next to the guys rapid firing their ARs. I know its fun as !@#% but I can't concentrate on my shooting (especially when zeroing in a rifle or patterning a shotgun) when that's going on. I'm all for this law getting passed if it means more folks will want to buy one and use it on the range.

Edited by mazzgolf

Making it mandatory I wouldn't like. Having the choice would be great. 

You can use them to hunt in PA. Don't know how well it would work since you're not using subsonic ammo.

For home defense it would be nice. Would not automatically be federal case.

Maybe using for predator hunting but I have never done that so don't know how well it would work.

I would definitely purchase a few.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Making it mandatory I wouldn't like...

Me neither... Just another law we gun owners will have to follow and potentially be in violation of.. not to mention added cost to owning a firearm....  I think Stevos problem lies more with the range  he shoots and their rules  rather than the lack of rules by way of government... Just say'n.. :cupcoffee:

:D

I dont shoot at ranges just on our property but if there was an issue wouldn't  supressors make it easier to communicate than something covering your ears.I think you would still hear it when hunting if you are close enough for it to be of concern...but I also don't think it should be a mandatory law......

Making it mandatory I wouldn't like. Having the choice would be great. 

You can use them to hunt in PA. Don't know how well it would work since you're not using subsonic ammo.

For home defense it would be nice. Would not automatically be federal case.

Maybe using for predator hunting but I have never done that so don't know how well it would work.

I would definitely purchase a few.

I think you mis-read what Steve wrote. He said mandatory on gun ranges to make every ones time at the range more enjoyable and safe. Not that I necessarily agree but I see his point. No where did he say it should be mandatory for everyone all the time

Yeah, what Bubblehead said.  This is in no way going to be mandatory, it gives gun owners a clear path to buy suppressors without the $200 tax currently imposed federally in states that allow them.  NJ currently does not, so nothing would change in this state unless suppressors were allowed in the future.  But I wouldn't hold my breath in this state. 

LOL @ them calling it the "Hearing Protection Act".  Are we becoming just as bad as the liberals by naming things stuff that is disingenuous just to get what we want passed?  Sadly, I guess the world must be like this.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Watch this video and listen to the supressed and un-suppressed shots (he does it in the middle of the video) - these are certainly not "silencers":

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/01/14/gun-silencer-law-introduced-blackwell-dnt.cnn

I will say, the guy at the end that is against this law made a good point. While hunting, it could be considered a good idea not to have shots suppressed because it allows other hunters in the area to better be able to know another hunter is around and is engaged in firing. So from a safety standpoint, it might be a good idea not to allow suppressors while hunting. But then, a suppressed shot is still going to be pretty loud, so I don't think its a major safety issue as that guy wants people to think.

That said, I agree with you Stevo - I can't stand sitting next to the guys rapid firing their ARs. I know its fun as !@#% but I can't concentrate on my shooting (especially when zeroing in a rifle or patterning a shotgun) when that's going on. I'm all for this law getting passed if it means more folks will want to buy one and use it on the range.

Why does anyone need to hear a shot to understand there are other hunters in the woods That Is BS If it Hunting season YES there is other hunters in the woods with you And the old adage the shot you hear missed you the one you did not here has killed you.  Correct me if I am wrong the suppressor lowers the Noice does it also lower the conclusion?  

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

LOL @ them calling it the "Hearing Protection Act".  Are we becoming just as bad as the liberals by naming things stuff that is disingenuous just to get what we want passed?  Sadly, I guess the world must be like this.

Funny, I thought the same thing when I first read it.  But now I'm thinking they carefully crafted the bill to say that on purpose.  How can someone vote against hearing protection?  :)