IGNORED

Got a phone call this morning from F&W

Stevo

This morning a Conservation Officer called me on my cell phone as I was coming home from Hunting. He said he was calling in regards to a problem with Mountain Bikers in Manasquan WMA. Now either someone on here that saw my post knows an officer, or they read my post here, or they were returning my call from yesterday. Either way I got a response and am very happy. The Warden said he would start spending more time in that area and would absolutely write tickets. He sited the law exactly as it is and knows these Riders are in there illegally. He thanked me for calling and I did likewise. If you see a violation call. He had no idea this was going on and that just leads me to believe no one is calling. I hope he catches them. I know it isn't easy as most of them ride in from their homes so he won't see a car with bike racks in a parking lot. But at least he is trying. Can't ask for anymore than that.

It's time to take back our WMA's. These lands belong to us. We have enough trouble trying not to step on each others toes while lawfully hunting these properties. Add in a bunch of Scofflaws and it is impossible. If you see a violation just call. People riding Horses must have a permit and must show it to anyone that asks to see it. It says so right on the permit. They can ride on established roads such as the gravel road going through Colliers Mills. They can only ride Horses on designated Trails. Designated Trails will be marked as so with a sign. They cannot just ride anywhere they please. I have never seen a designated trail in Colliers Mills. I have seen one in Assunpink. It was marked by a sign.

I have the number saved in my phone for the Assunpink Office. Do the same for your area. If you see something just call. If we don't do it no one will.

Steve

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Excellent! I'm going to start calling when I see bears hitting garbage cans-it's not that difficult to keep your garbage in a safe spot- about 98% of the population seems to be able to do it, it's always the same people around here. I don't care if the COs give them a warning the first time, but after that....

without me, my rifle is nothing

Stevo, again well done all the way around by you. I hope you mentioned the below conversation you had with the person who was telling you that you were wrong. I am sure you made progress with the C/O today.  :up:

"I got my stuff together and while walking in called your office. A lady answered and I explained the situation. She told me there was no law that said they cannot be in there. I told her there was a law. She then said no there is not. I still had the pamphlet from last year in my truck. I told her I have the law on paper in my truck from your office. I then told her the dates they were not allowed to be there. Again she told me there is no such law. Well about now anyone else would just give up. But I'm not just anyone. I said send a CO over here and I will show him the law and then he can give them a ticket. She asked for my number and name and said I will see if anyone is in the area and hung up. No one came"

I would like to see them do something about the used condoms and emty beer cans and wine bottles in the parking area of Paulinskill WMA and the dirt bike riders on Wildcat Ridge WMA. I reported the latter once even told them the house the bikes were leaving and they did nothing.

thats great stevo, did he sound younger when you talked to him. the new co's we got seem to be doing a great job responding to calls and catching people who diserve it.  i know they are under staffed and cant be everywhere at once but i been seeing them driving around keeping a eye on our wma's and other public lands quite often and i could of never said that before. keep up the good work fellas

I personally addressed the mountain bike issue with a co last year in the manasquan wma. He informed me that there was nothing he could do. Hopefully they have changed their minds and will go thru with enforcing the law.

I would have never took that for an answer. I was told "There is nothing we can do" when I reported the misuse of Collier Mills Rifle Range. They could and did do something. Why? Because enough voices were heard. The E Mails poured in. The phone calls poured in. Hunters came together as one and got it done. We can get anything done if we all want it. No matter how you hunt Deer. No matter what you shoot them with. No matter how big they or not. In the end we are all outdoors people and we stick together. We don't have much here in NJ so everything we do have we need to fight for.

I am sure there are hunters that just quit hunting there. They had enough and just moved on. Well I am not one of them. What's right is right. That land is maintained for hunting with our money. No way am I going to let a bunch of Yuppie Bike Riders run me out.

thats great stevo, did he sound younger when you talked to him. the new co's we got seem to be doing a great job responding to calls and catching people who diserve it.  i know they are under staffed and cant be everywhere at once but i been seeing them driving around keeping a eye on our wma's and other public lands quite often and i could of never said that before. keep up the good work fellas

Yes he did sound like a younger fella. Honestly sounded sincere and I will be surprised if he doesn't do what he said. I hope your right.

I always thought it was legal to ride a bike through a WMA, as long as it not a motorized vehicle. I know people that do it still while hunting to get into deep spots, and drag deer out.

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I always thought it was legal to ride a bike through a WMA, as long as it not a motorized vehicle. I know people that do it still while hunting to get into deep spots, and drag deer out.

There is a section in the law that states you can ride in on a bike if you are hunting.

I believe the old chief and assistant chief retired as well as some of the older guys. The new guys they hired (well the ones who could pass the academy)  :rofl:  are doing a great job... even tho there what 60 something total for the whole state??

Apparently, the entire division is going thru a massive reorganization, Director Chanda stepped down to take a senior advisor position. Now the CO Chief reports directly to the new director (Herrighty?). 

DL the NJF&W Pocket Ranger app if you have a smartphone, you can alert CO's right from it, or call em. Get to know the guys that patrol your county... they need all the help they can get.

“There’s a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.”

I would have never took that for an answer. I was told "There is nothing we can do" when I reported the misuse of Collier Mills Rifle Range. They could and did do something. Why? Because enough voices were heard. The E Mails poured in. The phone calls poured in. Hunters came together as one and got it done. We can get anything done if we all want it. No matter how you hunt Deer. No matter what you shoot them with. No matter how big they or not. In the end we are all outdoors people and we stick together. We don't have much here in NJ so everything we do have we need to fight for.

I am sure there are hunters that just quit hunting there. They had enough and just moved on. Well I am not one of them. What's right is right. That land is maintained for hunting with our money. No way am I going to let a bunch of Yuppie Bike Riders run me out.

Stevo has my vote for the next president. :up: Well said and done.