IGNORED

Hunting from a boat.

Batsto

I am thinking of a future purchase on a boat for duck hunting and fishing. Presently, I have a Old Town Predator canoe and a Bender Marsh boat, which both are used for jump shooting, getting to blind area or setting decoys. Which style of boat would be safe for 3 to 4 people, dog and supplies. At the age of 61, I am thinking down the road to keep duck hunting and not hustling canoes or marsh boats. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are so many choices really. Duck Wrangler, Banks,TDB (my favorite) are all excellent. Personally, I think a Carolina Skiff is a great boat. Very stable, roomy and a blind can be built on it pretty easy. Plus, you get a great back bay boat for fishing.

Great idea....I have been looking at skiffs off and on. Nice fishing platform, low profile with stability and you can can get creative with camo ideas.

And not that pricey!! There have been a few for sale used. I went with a guy who had an 18' skiff. Had a slight v to it. He was able to run it with a tiller motor with no issue. The ones with the center console don't have the room in my opinion. I saw one that was retro fitted with a small steering wheel on the side in the stern. That guy used it for crabbing and clamming commercially and that looked to a good idea. Still allowed plenty of room on the deck.

I have a 17' War Eagle semi V with an Avery blind. Two people and a dog can hunt out of it comfortably. Three people would be a little tight but would work. If you want to hunt 3 to 4 people I would recommend a 19' or better yet a 21' boat.

I remove the blind after the season and fish the rest of the year.

4 people is going to force you to a bigger boat than what you probably want for duck hunting. The bigger it is the harder to hide. But no matter what you do its a trade off. I have had 4 in my 16 john boat but only on a lake and we dropped two off on a nearby island for set up.