IGNORED

New area I'm thinking about.

GhostBear

So, I was out somewhere in zone 8 looking into a possible new hunting spot, so, tell me what you think should I hunt there?

The following pix are of rubs and an old closed scrape I found, all within 80 yards of a tree I picked out, I picked the tree out first, a medium sized white oak growing 1 foot from a hemloc.

The scrape was less than 20 yards away.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Now a pic of a run.

image.jpeg

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

it could mean a good spot for next season especially if the whites are dropping acorns - but for this season I would want fresher sign.  Deer need cover this time of year, they are really on edge and don't feel safe in the open. That spot looks pretty open right now.   Winter bow, I want to be near food sources man made or natural. If you are going to bait that spot try to draw them into an area they won't feel so exposed.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

it could mean a good spot for next season especially if the whites are dropping acorns - but for this season I would want fresher sign.  Deer need cover this time of year, they are really on edge and don't feel safe in the open. That spot looks pretty open right now.   Winter bow, I want to be near food sources man made or natural. If you are going to bait that spot try to draw them into an area they won't feel so exposed.

no doubt, the rut sign was from earlier this year, the runs I found where very well used and fresh, what can't be seen is the nice dry river bottom thicket, another 20 yards or so behind me as I was taking the scrape pic, and the trails that lead not only into this white oak flat, but a nice river crossing as well, most of this area is open woods except this is wher all the deer sign is, both old and new.

That river bottom area is nice and super dense and thick, and goes on for quite a ways, my bet is that's where they are holing up before coming out to feed up some and stage up before heading across the river, I found where they are doing that too.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

All that sign says is that deer have been there. They can be across the mountain in good cover or on a found food source.

. Fresh scrapes and sign like droppings and kicked up leaves will guide you where to hunt now.

I will tell you what I like the most. I like that there are old rubs in the backround. That could mean a few things. One your buck is an older buck or two you have a spot that bucks like to use from year to year. possible staging area. I dont know if they are using the area at this time of year. only time or a cam can tell you that.