IGNORED

No blood trail

kevinh9189

I'm assuming pic you posted is shot location? Blood doesn't appear to be too dark, that could just be blood from initial contact. Any idea on where you hit the deer, behind shoulder, front of shoulder, neck, etc? Think the shot over in your head and try and re create it the best you can.

Okay so I took the shot, he turned real quick and was facing me then spun around and took off in the other direction. It either hit a little high and right or could have even hit him head on if he turned. I'm sorry I got buck fever I was not ahaking but it shot my memory.

That is not the initial contact sight that is where the arrow broke off about 15 years from where I hit him. He pooped right where I hit him and the ground is torn up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess, from lack of blood and arrow depth, high in the shoulder above the spine..which will probably result in a live deer..at 15 yards and that high of an angle, 1 lung at best.. probably muscle wound tho.

Just my guess tho, I could very well be wrong.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

You're probably right jay I hope he survives. Never signed up to wound deer

OK, so now that we have more info, it looks like it is not a liver hit, but a shoulder/neck hit that hit bone .  If the angle is right, you should have reached the vitals.  The fact that the arrow is sheared off is good, that means it was sticking straight in.  I think you have a pretty good shot at getting it provided it did actually penetrate 7 inches.

OK, so now that we have more info, it looks like it is not a liver hit, but a shoulder/neck hit that hit bone .  If the angle is right, you should have reached the vitals.  The fact that the arrow is sheared off is good, that means it was sticking straight in.  I think you have a pretty good shot at getting it provided it did actually penetrate 7 inches.

So long as the penetration was as deep as he says it was (lol, honestly baby it's 7 inches...) i think you might be right

So long as the penetration was as deep as he says it was (lol, honestly baby it's 7 inches...) i think you might be right

Hahaha i needed a laugh, I held another arrow up to it so I know it was 7 inches, 6 at the least

If you got 7 inches of penetration then the arrow probably hit the opposite shoulder.  That's good because that means you were up in the lungs.  But with no exit hole and an entrance that's from a tree stand you won't get much of a blood trail.  The good news is the deer shouldn't go far so it should be relatively easy to find.  Best of luck tomorrow.  

If you got 7 inches of penetration then the arrow probably hit the opposite shoulder. That's good because that means you were up in the lungs. But with no exit hole and an entrance that's from a tree stand you won't get much of a blood trail. The good news is the deer shouldn't go far so it should be relatively easy to find. Best of luck tomorrow.

This! I once had an 8 pointer turn at release. Arrow hit in front of shoulder and stuck in opposite shoulder, I was 20' up,deer was at 8-10 yards. Was hunting very thick swamp, very little blood more like specks for 60 yards. Followed broken branches and leaves kicked up to find the specks. Found the deer 80 yards from shot location, it was here that there was blood everywhere. If you look at pic it would appear I got very little penetration, but was more than enough. Stay positive, get out there as soon as you can and hopefully your trophy is a short track away!

post-1073-0-63770100-1483572079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bbadrinath

In all honesty, if happens to everyone but you shouldn't be hunting evenings if you don't have the opportunity to come back at first light and look for the deer.  In the winter with all animals out looking for food, waiting until 3PM the next day is asking for a butt hole chewing from coyotes and other predators. 

Disagree with above. Not constructive whatsoever, because not everyone has a perfect schedule to hunt or plan to follow up a deer the next day for that matter.... This sounds like a NJH drama starting comment, in my opinion...

Kevinh, your buck should be close if in fact its a liver/diaphragm hit...Best of luck. Take it slow and do not overlook the obvious.  :up:

Try this too. Bring a compass. Hopefully you memorized where you last saw it. Note the direction it ran from the shot. Look carefully in a straight line to where you last saw it. Mark each blood sign with a piece of tissue or red ribbon high up on a branch so you can see it for 40 yrds or more. After a while you'll see a pattern - reset your compass on that line. If you find no more blood go carefully 100 yards in that bearing. Most deer I have shot - after a turn - go on a straight bee line away in one compass bearing. Has helped me find deer several times. Also go slow and look to the sides a lot and far ahead. At last breath they often jump to the side. If this does not work  then start back at last blood and do the circle bit. 

Edited by Deadeye

Try to find the trail he exited on and be prepared to be on your hands and knees looking for pin drops.  Look down not ahead!  Don't just look on the ground, look for blood at deer shoulder hight in thicker areas.  Thicker areas can also work to your benefit cause the trails are more noticeable.  They can also work against you cause you can walk right by the deer and never see him.... move slow!  Bring as many sets of eyes as you can.

Edited by B B

Good luck! Hope to see pics tomorrow. Those pine needles can be tough to track in. Look for pin drops, take it slow and mark the trail with pieces of toilet paper. It will give you a good line of travel and the toilet paper will be gone the next time it rains.

As other said look at the brush at the deer's shoulder/chest height. If there is no exit you may find blood rubbed on higher brush and not spilling out to the ground.

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

This! I once had an 8 pointer turn at release. Arrow hit in front of shoulder and stuck in opposite shoulder, I was 20' up,deer was at 8-10 yards. Was hunting very thick swamp, very little blood more like specks for 60 yards. Followed broken branches and leaves kicked up to find the specks. Found the deer 80 yards from shot location, it was here that there was blood everywhere. If you look at pic it would appear I got very little penetration, but was more than enough. Stay positive, get out there as soon as you can and hopefully your trophy is a short track away!

Notice your arrow is broken off several inches outside the deers body..

Often this happens, which means his 7" missing from his arrow most likely isn't all in the deers cavity.. out of that 7", 5" can be sticking out of the deer..

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com