IGNORED

EDIT

I cant say enough good things about my Boykin Spaniel. I too wanted a hunting dog but at the same time a geat house dog. My briar has just turned a year old and i am truley amazed at how far she has come. Around the family she is the most behaved, obedient and lovable dog. She plays and snuggles with my kids showing utter affection and as gentle as can be. Out in the field she is a complete savage when it comes to flushing pheasant and quail retrieving them once shot. She will sit in the duck blind watching for ducks and usually sees them before we do LOL when a duck hits the water she waits for the command then goes out and retrieves. I never imagined having such a good dog. Here's a couple pics of Briar94D4006F-66E8-4E99-9355-23583CF58C85.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Edited by maximus66

AWM

I cant say enough good things about my Boykin Spaniel. I too wanted a hunting dog but at the same time a geat house dog. My briar has just turned a year old and i am truley amazed at how far she has come. Around the family she is the most behaved, obedient and lovable dog. She plays and snuggles with my kids showing utter affection and as gentle as can be. Out in the field she is a complete savage when it comes to flushing pheasant and quail retrieving them once shot. She will sit in the duck blind watching for ducks and usually sees them before we do LOL when a duck hits the water she waits for the command then goes out and retrieves. I never imagined having such a good dog. Here's a couple pics of Briar94D4006F-66E8-4E99-9355-23583CF58C85.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

AWM

That boykin looks like a special dog...  I grew up with a great female GSP who was a great house pet and amazing hunter/pointer.   I now have a lab that is terrific overall but a nightmare to transport (high anxiety in vehicle) but hunts pheasants great and would be an excellent duck dog if I still duck hunted.

They are all great - it's what YOU make them. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

That boykin looks like a special dog...  I grew up with a great female GSP who was a great house pet and amazing hunter/pointer.   I now have a lab that is terrific overall but a nightmare to transport (high anxiety in vehicle) but hunts pheasants great and would be an excellent duck dog if I still duck hunted.

They are all great - it's what YOU make them.

You are 100% correct JH, you get out of em what you put into emBA3F987C-F53E-494E-9DF1-FE2D05C5BAD7.JPG

B8B02B30-4DA6-4C31-84C5-B3A8A4F81472.JPG

AWM

Rottweilers. Oh wait...this is a bird dog thread.

Most of the great bird dogs I'd been around were decent family dogs as well. Some GSPs and even some pointing labs that a guy I know has.

My one buddy has a springer spaniel that is a great bird dog and is a real sweetheart to be around. He got her from some breeder in Wisconsin I think. He takes his bird dogs seriously

Laugh as everyone else did. I'm putting my money on a mini dushound. I had one for 14.5 years hunted him for 13.5 we missed his 11.5 year cause of lymes and a bad disk in his neck. Over his 13 year career we killed in the ballpark of 400 nj stocked pheasants. Stocking days we were done in 5 minutes non stock days we would normally be done in 2 hours. We killed every year 30 to 40 birds, with him I smiled every time I spent $40 for a stamp cause I knew I was getting my money worth. No formal training, but he'd track deer and birds like no one's business. Did I get lucky absolutely, one day I will get another for sure and begin birding again, the nice thing is with little dog like that I took home quite a few birds that were full roasters cause he would chase them into cover some thick they could not open wings to fly and he'd grab and shake.

One last funny story one Thanksgiving morning, I had an old man laughing at me and my dog, he said you need a Britney if you want birds, I let him have his moment and we made our way out, place was packed and by happen chance wound up same field as him. He started walking first once about half way down cut corners field we walked in, my dog immediately got birdie and not 50 yards into field I had a hen in the air and on the ground. Best part is guy turned around so quick he was still able to see feathers falling. I gave him a thumbs up and he started yelling at his dog. Pure awesome.

You can make any dog a birder, but sometimes you get lucky as I did and get the best of both, a total killer and soft as a cream puff at home buddy.

1129121605.jpg

2012-12-019519-25-0995533.jpg

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

Laugh as everyone else did. I'm putting my money on a mini dushound. I had one for 14.5 years hunted him for 13.5 we missed his 11.5 year cause of lymes and a bad disk in his neck. Over his 13 year career we killed in the ballpark of 400 nj stocked pheasants. Stocking days we were done in 5 minutes non stock days we would normally be done in 2 hours. We killed every year 30 to 40 birds, with him I smiled every time I spent $40 for a stamp cause I knew I was getting my money worth. No formal training, but he'd track deer and birds like no one's business. Did I get lucky absolutely, one day I will get another for sure and begin birding again, the nice thing is with little dog like that I took home quite a few birds that were full roasters cause he would chase them into cover some thick they could not open wings to fly and he'd grab and shake.

One last funny story one Thanksgiving morning, I had an old man laughing at me and my dog, he said you need a Britney if you want birds, I let him have his moment and we made our way out, place was packed and by happen chance wound up same field as him. He started walking first once about half way down cut corners field we walked in, my dog immediately got birdie and not 50 yards into field I had a hen in the air and on the ground. Best part is guy turned around so quick he was still able to see feathers falling. I gave him a thumbs up and he started yelling at his dog. Pure awesome.

You can make any dog a birder, but sometimes you get lucky as I did and get the best of both, a total killer and soft as a cream puff at home buddy.

That is great! I had one too, she lived 16 great years. I sure miss my ginny

IMG_0364.JPG

AWM

I'm partial to Vizslas, I'm of Hungarian decent so there'ya go!! Lol, just do you homework, check out the breeder you go to regardless of the breed and make sure they are on the up an up. That said, make the choice of puppy yourself, I was glad I did, I had in mind a male, brought a scented quail wing with me as well, some of the pups pointed it, others ran in and tore it up, then I put them all together and watched them, my boy was inquisitive at 4 weeks poking around under chairs and under the couch, so he had two things going for him, point and curiosity, I picked him up and looked him in the eye, he held my gaze for about 15 seconds and then turned his head, that was trait 3, bold, but submissive, then I put him back with his litter mates, as they all began to fall asleep, he made the effert to cross the room and curl up next to my leg..............sold. He's been my best hunting buddy for 12 years, today.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I do not own a hunting dog, but a friend has two unbelievable English pointers that he purchased and had trained by Gary Malzone at Indian Creek kennels. 

The dogs are literally bird finding machines. The best part is they both sleep in his bedroom and he says they act like normal house dogs when not in the field. 

German Shorthair's are great hunters and great family dogs like mine (below), but be prepared to get them out for a good run "every" day.  

And, regarding the litter due in January mentioned above, I have hunted over them and they are both great hunters and family in house pets also.

So, if you are interested call Kevin at 609-556-4763, a good guy who can answer any questions you have.

P1280054.jpg

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

go with the GSP litter that is available you can't go wrong. I dont know the breeder but I know the breed.  The Boykin sure looks special though if you want to hold off and find out through Maximus how he acquired his. If I was thinking of a new dog, I might go there...  Labs - hard to go wrong but it all depends on the breeder like any other dog investment.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….