IGNORED

Recommendations for an out of state whitetail hunt?

DeplorableDan

Does anyone know of a good outfitter/available lease for an out of state firearm hunt? The guys in my family go away every year for the first 3 days of rifle season of NY. Previously, we went to public land in potter county PA. There's around 10 of us and 600 acres in ny and they go in blind, without scouting, setup on the ground, and are actually pretty successful doing that. We've taken some 130-140 class bucks out of pa and a 160" deer out of NY. Unfortunately there's barely any deer on our lease anymore and the hunting has seriously declined. I'm looking to set these guys up on some good land, and kill some good deer. Most of them only hunt this one time out of the year and I figure we might as well go somewhere nice so they can actually see some nice bucks. I'm looking to go somewhere within driving distance (Pennsylvania, Maryland, west Virginia, Ohio, New York). It could even be public land if it's the right public land but I need some suggestions or refferals. Whether it's a one week lease, a self guided hunt through an outfitter, or just a place to stay that borders good public land. Can be rifle or shotgun, and I'd like to spend around $1000/man? Idk how the average pricing is but I figure around 10,000 total would be a good place to start. many thanks

Edited by DeplorableDan

Can't recommend an outfitter because I've never done it...Yet. But if I was looking at a public land bowhunt within driving distance I'd choose Ohio.

If looking at rifle I'd look into Kentucky. Their rifle season is right in the middle of the rut in November.

Nick

I know Palawman has a camp in western Pa. and he did rent it out for Rifle season. That area of Pa. is some of the best Deer hunting Pa has to offer. Public land but would cost a lot less than 1k a man. I had a camp right in the next town over from him and we hunted the same areas. I never scouted just went in on opening day and sat. Since the 3 point law the amount of Bucks has boomed. Long ride though. Like 5 hours. Worth every minute. Wish I still had my camp out there. I miss the hell out of it.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

I hunted with these guys in Iowa this year. They have lots of ground on the Iowa/ Missouri border. A friend of mine goes every year and usually shoots a buck. Tags are over the counter for Missouri. Real nice people, nice lodge and some really big whitetails. Im thinking possibly a late muzzleloader hunt with these guys next year in Missouri.  20161205_081621_zpspye9qawh.jpg

www.liftxrentals.com

I just read you only want to spend $1000 per man. 

That wont get you an outfitted hunt out west. They do a late muzzy hunt for about $1400. Pm me if you are interested. A friend of mine shot this oneimagejpeg_0_1480904937650_zpspuhxfnkz.jp

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Does anyone know of a good outfitter/available lease for an out of state firearm hunt? The guys in my family go away every year for the first 3 days of rifle season of NY. Previously, we went to public land in potter county PA. There's around 10 of us and 600 acres in ny and they go in blind, without scouting, setup on the ground, and are actually pretty successful doing that. We've taken some 130-140 class bucks out of pa and a 160" deer out of NY. Unfortunately there's barely any deer on our lease anymore and the hunting has seriously declined. I'm looking to set these guys up on some good land, and kill some good deer. Most of them only hunt this one time out of the year and I figure we might as well go somewhere nice so they can actually see some nice bucks. I'm looking to go somewhere within driving distance (Pennsylvania, Maryland, west Virginia, Ohio, New York). It could even be public land if it's the right public land but I need some suggestions or refferals. Whether it's a one week lease, a self guided hunt through an outfitter, or just a place to stay that borders good public land. Can be rifle or shotgun, and I'd like to spend around $1000/man? Idk how the average pricing is but I figure around 10,000 total would be a good place to start. many thanks

"Dan"? (I don't know if that is your name or not).  First, do not fool yourself because you are the easiest person to fool.  You need to understand that hunting the(MW) midwest is totally different than hunting PA or NY.  Winter weather is much harsher than on the east and takes it's toll on deer as do the predators.  Some MW states have wolves all the MW states have coyotes.  I had the same problem you did back in 92 when I went out west for my deer hunt.  Did not know where to start and this site was not available then.  Everyone wants "good land" with "good deer" so that is a very broad statement.  I would IIWY(if I were you) drill down on how much time and when exactly I could hunt so you can narrow down the states/areas that offer you the best shot.  Most agri land is private so that will cost you.  You REALLY need to plan this out so you can put as much of the odds in your favor as you can, I cannot stress that enough. Some states like IA have little public land but truly giant bucks.  Kentucky and Tenn have big swaths of public land as does Nebraska and OH has a 240,000 acre national forest.  Also, don't delude yourself that "every buck is bigger over there".  Big bucks take effort to hunt and kill, the odds are better in the MW but they don't give a 2nd chance so be ready by practicing.  If the land you were hunting put out 130-160 class deer then the genetics are there.  Maybe you can invest your $ and time into improving the 600 ac plot. Sometimes the gold is under your feet as opposed to looking for it 1000 miles away.  That is a lot of damn land and there has to be ways to improve the hunting there if you have control of it, if not then I understand why you want to look elsewhere.  Also, how is the $1k allocated, it may not be enough for a week.  

"Dan"? (I don't know if that is your name or not).  First, do not fool yourself because you are the easiest person to fool.  You need to understand that hunting the(MW) midwest is totally different than hunting PA or NY.  Winter weather is much harsher than on the east and takes it's toll on deer as do the predators.  Some MW states have wolves all the MW states have coyotes.  I had the same problem you did back in 92 when I went out west for my deer hunt.  Did not know where to start and this site was not available then.  Everyone wants "good land" with "good deer" so that is a very broad statement.  I would IIWY(if I were you) drill down on how much time and when exactly I could hunt so you can narrow down the states/areas that offer you the best shot.  Most agri land is private so that will cost you.  You REALLY need to plan this out so you can put as much of the odds in your favor as you can, I cannot stress that enough. Some states like IA have little public land but truly giant bucks.  Kentucky and Tenn have big swaths of public land as does Nebraska and OH has a 240,000 acre national forest.  Also, don't delude yourself that "every buck is bigger over there".  Big bucks take effort to hunt and kill, the odds are better in the MW but they don't give a 2nd chance so be ready by practicing.  If the land you were hunting put out 130-160 class deer then the genetics are there.  Maybe you can invest your $ and time into improving the 600 ac plot. Sometimes the gold is under your feet as opposed to looking for it 1000 miles away.  That is a lot of damn land and there has to be ways to improve the hunting there if you have control of it, if not then I understand why you want to look elsewhere.  Also, how is the $1k allocated, it may not be enough for a week.

Yes my names dan. Thanks for the info but I'm not really looking for the Midwest, it's too far and too expensive. I'd be more interested in leasing land for the opener of gun season, let's say we have 10,000 to play with, I'm sure I can find something. The land in potter county was sold to a paper mill and New York simply has no deer. We go there in the rut and see nothing. I've never even seen a fawn there, the locals just slaughter everything so as much as I would like to improve the land he have, it's not happening.

Look in Ohio. Not a bad drive and has some true giants and good amount of state land. I hunted there before and took a nice mid 130 class with the bow. But have friends that been going every year for over 10 years. All the land we hunted was gotten just by knocking on doors and talking to locals. Lot of outfitters there too.

Dan, if you're looking to lease out of state, go to www.basecampleasing.com.  You really need to pay for their membership because it gives you a week advance look on anything that comes up.  They don't do NJ but do a lot of other states.  10k will get you a spot, some have limits as to # of hunters.  You can take a look for free.  

Yes my names dan. Thanks for the info but I'm not really looking for the Midwest, it's too far and too expensive. I'd be more interested in leasing land for the opener of gun season, let's say we have 10,000 to play with, I'm sure I can find something. The land in potter county was sold to a paper mill and New York simply has no deer. We go there in the rut and see nothing. I've never even seen a fawn there, the locals just slaughter everything so as much as I would like to improve the land he have, it's not happening.

there's deer in ny I have 200 acres in Broome County and they are big deer

Have any of you guys used base camp leasing?.My thought on this is most likely you will be very disappointed.  The leases are basically pay to play. They tell you how many guys per lease which is good but these leases go to the highest bidders. You have no idea who leased the properties previously, outfitters or guys that just shot the place up. It takes time to grow big deer, they arent just there, it takes management by leasees, landowners or outfitters in a area who can let deer grow to their potential. 

Also , the land needs to be capable of holding these deer. If you are looking for a one and done hunt, your best bet by far is to hunt with a reputable outfitter with big continuous tracts of land with some type of restriction on deer being harvested. If you want quality, you are going to pay for it. There is no way I would hunt state land within driving distance of Nj ex. Ohio. 

Guys go there so they can take their corn piles and crossbows with them. There are some good bucks in Ohio if you can find a lease in a good neighborhood or again a reputable outfitter. Go further west than most here will drive. You dont go to the midwest for 130 inch deer. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com