• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Compound or Traditional

49 replies to this topic

#41 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 12:28 PM

i committed to the recurve this year but no luck yet. lots of opportunity. thought i had a squirrel the other day but must have missed. its been a mission

Stick with it kuz, the greater the challenge the sweeter the reward when it finally all comes together.  :up:

#42 Male OFFLINE   Liv2hunt

Liv2hunt

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 05:03 PM

I give credit to you tradition guys.. But I am a compound guy all the way..
I Just want to Hunt...

#43 Male OFFLINE   Hanky

Hanky

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Rusty!
  • Like x 1
  • List

#44 Male OFFLINE   Bill from NJ

Bill from NJ

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 06:35 PM

Started with a Recurve in the 1960's.

Changed to a Bear Compound and upgraded to a Hoyt Compound in the 1980's through the mid 1990's.

Back to using Owen Jeffrey Recurve 1990's.

Recently changed to using a Leon Stewart Longbow.

Changing to a 45# longbow has provided much physical comfort, allowing the use of a heavy arrow, and shoot with the utmost in quietness. 

Have had to sit on the sidelines for the past year due to an injury at work forcing me to undergo major rotator cuff surgery, and other damage I can't even pronounce.

Surgery on both shoulders and elbows has caused a slight postponement in all of my outdoor activities.

Hopefully, come this spring I will be able to have use of both my arms again.

Then its practice, practice, practice to get back to being able to shoot 20 - 25 yards instinctive again.

Pix of my Stewart 45# Longbow below.....

Attached Images

• DSC00054.JPG
  • DSC00055.JPG
  • DSC00042.JPG

• Like x 4
  • List

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#45 Male OFFLINE   Thunderchicken

Thunderchicken

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 06:57 PM

Changed to a Bear Compound and upgraded to a Hoyt Compound in the 1980's through the mid 1990's.

Changing to a 45# longbow has provided much physical comfort, allowing the use of a heavy arrow, and shoot with the utmost in quietness. 

Have had to sit on the sidelines for the past year due to an injury at work forcing me to undergo major rotator cuff surgery, and other damage I can't even pronounce.

Surgery on both shoulders and elbows has caused a slight postponement in all of my outdoor activities.

Then its practice, practice, practice to get back to being able to shoot 20 - 25 yards instinctive again.

Good luck with your recovery!! :up:

Mathews Halon 6

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF

#46 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 06:59 PM

Ouch, hope you heal up quick and get back at it.  Great bow!  

#47 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 07:09 PM

Good luck getting back to it Bill. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#48 Male OFFLINE   Hondo

Hondo

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12/21/16 - 09:28 PM

It's been Traditional Bows for me for about 10 years now.

• Like x 1
  • List

#49 Male OFFLINE   cecil973

cecil973

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12/22/16 - 04:33 AM

Have a bear outbreak will be splurging for a new bow over the summer, maybe a long bow too I've always wanted to take a deer with a long bow but feel I should master the compound more before I partake in that chase

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012

#50 Male OFFLINE   TDietz

TDietz

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12/22/16 - 07:54 AM

I'm mostly traditional, but, I carried a crossbow yesterday! go figure. The last season I hunted with a compound was 95. I got about a dozen, maybe 15 stickbows in the house, and since they all shoot a different arrow that means dozens of dozens arrows and shafts! I love it

without me, my rifle is nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users