IGNORED

this is how a typical hunt goes for me

mazzgolf

Doesn't matter if its deer, squirrel, crow, turkey, goose... this is so typical of me. I have a black cloud over my head, I swear.

I have a friend who lets me hunt goose at a small farm he owns. Real close to my house. Spoke to him Sunday and he told me all last week (even during that sleet and rain) he had geese every day - hundreds - on his fields and the neighbor's fields across the street. Morning, night, didn't matter. Of course, the week I decided not to go out, the geese are having a block party.

Well, today I decided to skip out real quick for a quick goose hunt. I figure hunt for an hour until sundown at 4:30.

As I'm driving (less than a 3 mile drive) I'm watching hundreds of geese flying overhead going everywhere! :eek:  I mean, hundreds - probably a thousand all total. The sky is filled with them. I get to his field, park, and a huge flock of geese literally fly over my truck. They flare away and go in the other direction. It was pandemonium with the amount of geese that were in the air from the time I left my driveway to the time I parked the truck.

I rush to get setup, get settled and ready and ............ nothing! It was like the spigot was turned off. :-( I saw nothing but a straggler or two out in the distance and 15 minutes before sunset I saw a small flock that never came close . Unbelievable. I swear if I was set up 10 minutes earlier, it could have been a day to remember. Instead, just another typical skunk. I couldn't believe how fast it shutdown. It was as if the entire local population of geese was moving at the same time and once they all got to where they were going, that was it - done.

If you saw them within an hour of sunset they were probably going back to the roost. They are probably still using the field you just showed up too late. You should probably hunt early morning or get set up around noon.

They will typically hit the fields in the morning then head back to the roost or an afternoon loaf spot about around 11:00. Then head back to the fields around 1 or 2 and eat until sometime around sunset. These are not set in stone times but should give you a starting point. If you want to hunt right before dark you have to find the roost. But if you shoot them up on their roost they will probably move on.

That stinks. But as a consolation, they taste like crap anyway. I'd much rather eat squirrels

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

you could hunt them geese like one member on the other site did then he posted his experience he was riding on rt 38 and seen geese in a irrigation pond by canals liquor store and shop rite in Lumberton then hoped out his vehicle with his kids in the car cheering him on and he took one out with the xbow I think he said it ran off or flew away and then we bashed him for a bit