• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Gap Shooting & poundage.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Sticks n' Stones

Sticks n' Stones

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 08:53 PM

What's " gap" shooting, and can you explain how it works? Then out of curiosity, what poundage do you guys use for hunting, etc. I know bout the minimal poundage laws and such, and not to mention what I train with is a tad bit above average for poundage, just was curious about a norm of sorts.

Edited by Sticks n' Stones, 12/16/16 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Male OFFLINE   mattg1500

mattg1500

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 08:57 PM

Scroll down to vdep27. i hunt with 65# dw

Edited by mattg1500, 12/16/16 - 09:10 PM.

#3 Male OFFLINE   mattg1500

mattg1500

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 08:59 PM

Or its when you come to an intersection where perpendicular traffic does not have to stop and u cross without slowing or stopping
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#4 Male OFFLINE   Thunderchicken

Thunderchicken

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:00 PM

My Compound is 60# and my long bow is 45#. :up:

Mathews Halon 6

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF

#5 Male OFFLINE   vdep217

vdep217

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:02 PM

Gap shooting is using the space between pins for the yardage you are shooting at that moment. Ex. U have a 30 and a 40 pin with a target at 35 u put your 30 a tad high number your 40 a tad low. When I used multiple pins I never had even yardage pins. I always had a 15 a 26 and 34. For the simple reason a deer is almost never exact. Now I have went to single pin and almost always keep it set at 28. For my set up in good from 10 to 33 yards within normal inch. Hope this helped. I also shoot 70 lbs at 27 inch
  • Agree x 2
  • List

#6 Male OFFLINE   mattg1500

mattg1500

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:09 PM

I digress vdep is correct on the definition 100%

#7 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:12 PM

This pretty much explains it.http://www.stickbow....hooting/gap.cfm

• Agree x 1
  • List

#8 Male OFFLINE   maximus66

maximus66

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:13 PM

Gap shooting is using the space between pins for the yardage you are shooting at that moment. Ex. U have a 30 and a 40 pin with a target at 35 u put your 30 a tad high number your 40 a tad low. When I used multiple pins I never had even yardage pins. I always had a 15 a 26 and 34. For the simple reason a deer is almost never exact. Now I have went to single pin and almost always keep it set at 28. For my set up in good from 10 to 33 yards within normal inch. Hope this helped. I also shoot 70 lbs at 27 inch

This above with sight pins but if you're talking trad bow gap shooting its the "gap" between the arrow tip and the bullseye in the instictive sight picture
  • Agree x 1
  • List
I've hunted with many a dog but never found one that would do it all until i met... The Boykin

#9 Male OFFLINE   Sticks n' Stones

Sticks n' Stones

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:17 PM

Mattg1500= So you mean a Mediterranean draw? I thought gap shooting was a way of range estimation?

vdep217= This is my fault, I forgot to put in that I'm a instinctive shooter, so while you obviously know a good amount on the topic of bow sights, it has nor relevance to me. Thanks for the info anyway, I'll try it with my compound.

Anyway I train (don't have archery license yet) with a English war bow with 80#@28", and 100#@32", and yes I can draw it to around 90#@30" max due to draw length constraints, granted thats right to my earlobe though.

Guess I should ask this as well, I have little (essentially no) peripheral vision, and decent eyesight, don't shoot with glasses so images aren't ultra sharp but I can still get it done, and have poor depth perception, but I'm while not a great shot, can get the job done. Way I see it, I've got a lot stacked against me for shooting, so how do I manage to still be decent accurate. Maybe muscle memory?   

Edited by Sticks n' Stones, 12/16/16 - 09:22 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:24 PM

You estimate the range and then use the proper gap to hit your target. 

• Agree x 1
  • List

#11 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 12/16/16 - 09:41 PM

That's a lot of poundage.  Howard Hill would be proud. You get to be accurate by using proper form and practicing no matter what technique you use, instinctive, gap, sights etc.  What are you training for the Zombie invasion or hunting?

• Funny x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   Liv2hunt

Liv2hunt

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12/17/16 - 01:09 AM

I am shooting 58 pounds I was A 70 pound pulled for years I dropped to 58 a few years ago.. Deer die the same..
I Just want to Hunt...

#13 Male OFFLINE   NorthNJHunter

NorthNJHunter

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 12/17/16 - 01:16 AM

I'm maxed out at 68 lbs with a 26" draw length. 

#14 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 12/17/16 - 10:57 AM

so how do I manage to still be decent accurate. Maybe muscle memory?   

When I shoot instinctively while hunting I limit my shots to 15 yards or less.  Determine what your effective range is and keep your shots within your limit.   

#15 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 12/17/16 - 11:01 AM

As far as gap shooting,  when shooting instinctively you shouldn't really be focused on the gap between the arrow tip and point of impact.  It's like throwing a ball, your brain will automatically adjust the height if you practice enough.  The key is to focus on the point of impact and nothing else, and practice, practice, practice.  

#16 Male OFFLINE   Sticks n' Stones

Sticks n' Stones

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12/17/16 - 11:39 AM

Nomad= Hunting, for the heavy draw weights I use a draw style similar to the Hadza Bow hunters of Tanzania, they're bows are about 100# average, shoot 4ft arrows, and take game from starlings, to Giraffe.

Rusty= I never tried gap shooting before nor did I hear about it until a couple days ago, guess it isn't all that necessary since I do decently with instinctive, now I just need tighter groups.

The reason I use a monster of a bow is the versatility of the poundage's. Then maybe just cause it's fun to shoot a real heavy bow, not to mention the amount pass through with such poundage. Maybe for flight shooting as well. Granted though it's very unnecessary.

Here's some pictures of some Hadza Hunters-

TA-EY-Hadza-046_large.jpgGF-Hadza-0406-046-fs.jpg5815096466_0e7d7a4f27_b.jpgHadza.jpg

The pictures are messy, but I wanted to point out the shear amount of arrows in the bow hand of the far right hunter in the fourth picture. They carry the arrows like that when traveling, the rest are kept in the draw hand, and tucked in-between the legs. During draw they bend the body forward into the bow, I've tried this and I noticed it locks up your joints for little movement, so I manage to keep a steady aim, on a target, I guess.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_x8xDDhdUXs

https://www.youtube....h?v=nh9BAoMOjfQ

https://www.youtube....h?v=hxBg2lTWIFE

Edited by Sticks n' Stones, 12/17/16 - 11:59 AM.

#17 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 12/17/16 - 11:42 AM

The most important thing in bowhunting is accuracy.  If you don't hit the lungs it doesn't matter how much energy is behind the arrow.  Shoot a bow that you can comfortably shoot accurately. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users