IGNORED

Hinge cutting

You can hinge cut in winter.  Same for girdling trees you want dead so that more sun enters your forest.  Looks like you have a nice bench near the pond for a mineral station as well.  Just pick a spot that doesn't flood or have runoff.  I'm finally slow until after New Year and live nearby.  I'll defer to Rusty's and your schedules and can likely come up most anytime.  Tomorrow is my last day booked solid for work and after that it's just random office time until we're back in New Mexico to finish a big pond job after the 1st.  

Man, Brian is the rock star of Woods and Water!  :rofl: 

Awesome  :up:

Awesome guys! I'd defiantly be looking for some advise rusty and bucksnbows, and trout and bucks, thank you!

I don't necessarily need anyone chainsawing, but I'd love for some help identifying trees and helping me ribbon off what to drop and what to hinge.

If my chainsaw isn't welcome then screw you, I'm not coming either.   :whatever:

Unless there's beer.  

Edited by Rusty

Can I bring my saw. :praying::praying::praying:

Lol

I'm unsure of how much I will be cutting or if I will be cutting until after we make a game plan...

Let's meet up with no saws to start off..

I'm worried if we start with saws in hand I'll have a tornado zone in no time and my wife will be pissed lol

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Lol

I'm unsure of how much I will be cutting or if I will be cutting until after we make a game plan...

Let's meet up with no saws to start off..

I'm worried if we start with saws in hand I'll have a tornado zone in no time and my wife will be pissed lol

:cheers:

So many of you know I recently moved to Sussex County. (Fredon twp)

My backyard consists of 9 acres including a small pond and a small leech field. The rest is wooded, and hilly.

You can see right through the property this time of the year, and most of the property even when foliage is up..

I have water, I have acorns, I have only nocturnal deer from October on..

I'm wondering if cutting and dropping a few trees the back 2 acres will be enough to create bedding and hold deer. All larger trees so hinge cutting is out of my league for those trees.

The rest if the property I plan to hinge cut the smaller trres and maybe drop a few large ones to let light in..

My main concern is I don't want the whole property to look like a tornado zone, especially what I can see from the house or around the pond where my wife likes to sit over the summer..

Also, the only "field" is the septic/leech field.. wondering if it's worth it to kill the grass and plant clover there..

attachicon.gif20160208_095615.jpegattachicon.gif20161117_113218.jpeg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

The guys responding sound well informed so I'm sure they'll steer you the right way.  I would be a little worried about the beer and gas powered saws mixing together, sounds like a bad episode of tool time....as for deer cover, I seem to see a lot more bucks in the areas that are thicker and not easy to see or get through, bucks must have it in their genes to stay in cover.  I always see does in the open areas but not far from cover but the bucks like cover, either edges or thickets, blowdowns.  As bucksnbows said, evergreens also provide real good cover esp after leaf fall and the does like to drop their fawns in there as well, I've had the same doe have 3 sets of fawns in the same spot behind my house. The best evergreen cover i've seen is when the trees still have their bottom branches and are not too far from each other, blocks the wind and still allows them to see. 

Congrats on your new home. 

If you're worried about power saws and beer, I think I can be of assistance.  I am completely useless in this endeavor and have no value what-so-ever to contribute, but I am an effective beer sponge and can eradicate a large supply of beer in a short period of time.  So if you have too much beer, or even too much beer to be around power tools, I can be of assistance in removing most of that beer from the equation.  No need to thank me now, just let me know when and where all this beer is, and I will provide you with this valuable "safety first" service at no charge.

Just trying to do my part and give back...  :drunk: ...

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.