IGNORED

iPhone scope mount for visually impaired?

SkippyKustoms

My daughter is 9 yo and visually impaired. Very long story that started when she was born, 22 eye surgeries later. Id really like to involve her when we go shooting. She only has one eye and limited vision in her right eye. I think the only possible scenario would some sort of electronic visual aid mounted on a .22? to help her see the target. Obviously this will require 100% involvement with myself helping her handle the weapon and keep down range and safe etc. has anyone used such device or have any other suggestions? Anyone have any connections? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

I've seen cameras hooked up to scopes where you don't have to peer through the scope, you just look at the digital screen. Might be easier to look at a screen (like maybe the size of an iphone maybe?) than through a scope. I think that's how people video their hunts where you see a view out of the scope in the video.

Google "rifle scope camera" - I'm seeing lots of hits. Some are just mounts for your phone - some have actual screens.

Edited by mazzgolf

My daughter is 9 yo and visually impaired. Very long story that started when she was born, 22 eye surgeries later. Id really like to involve her when we go shooting. She only has one eye and limited vision in her right eye. I think the only possible scenario would some sort of electronic visual aid mounted on a .22? to help her see the target. Obviously this will require 100% involvement with myself helping her handle the weapon and keep down range and safe etc. has anyone used such device or have any other suggestions? Anyone have any connections? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

That's rough Skippy, but I'm glad to hear that you are seeking solutions to involve her in these activities.  Kudos to you Dad.   :up:

I hope there's something out there that will work. 

I know there are options out there. I was hoping someone might have some experience with them. Gonna have to do some more research.

I have some experience with mounting iPhones to optical devices with limited success.  The challenge with something like this boils down to the optics of the magnifier (scope, etc.).

The eye relief of the magnifier is the biggest hurdle to overcome.  With a microscope or binoculars, the eye relief is very close to the lens of the magnifier.  So you can hold an iPhone up to it and have some pretty good luck getting things into focus and then keeping them in focus.  With a rifle scope the eye relief is several inches back from the magnifier.  This causes the iPhone's autofocus to shift all over the place, and at times the image doesn't fall cleanly onto the iPhone's camera.

Your best bet is to find something that works well specifically with a scope and that's reliable.  iPhones are great point-and-shoot cameras, but they are not very good for precision optical work.  They're not designed for that, and you'll get frustrated trying to get them to work properly.

Just my $0.02.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.