IGNORED

New hunter

Al_v3

Im 16 years old and new to hunting. I will be getting my license next fall, and have a few questions about getting started. My parents aren't in to hunting neither Is my family, so I don't have a mentor. I would like you start hunting squirrel and rabbit. I have many questions and am looking for a someone to guide me in the right direction. I don't need any negative comments due to my lack of knowledge. I have done many hours of research but still am unable to find some answers. Here are some of the questions.

1. Am I able to hunt small game in deer hunting zones or dmz

2. How does the stamp process work for migratory birds and turkey

3. If hunting with a firearm do I need my father to accompany me with his fid?

Also any general information or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to join this community and am looking foward for some guidance and help. Thank you

Welcome Al.  Like you, no one in my family hunted and I had to figure it out on my own.  Sometimes that's the best way.  It's a learning process that takes years, enjoy the journey and don't worry about how many or how big your kills are.

1.  Yes, you can hunt small game in deer zones.

Here's a list of public land in each zone and a list with maps of WMAs.

http://njfishandwildlife.com/huntland.htm

http://njfishandwildlife.com/wmaland.htm

Welcome to the site and soon to the world of outdoors. Your best bet is to find and ask for help from someone with experience. You seam to be on the right track by asking before starting with out any help :up:. I see you are up in Somerset county. I bet there might be someone here that will help you. You are a little north for me to help. Good luck and keep doing your research cause the more you read and the more people you talk to the better.  

Question 2: This is what you need to to hunt ducks and geese. New Jersey hunting license, HIP certification, Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp and New Jersey Waterfowl Stamp. The Federal stamp you can purchase from a post office. Not every post office carries them so check before you go. The HIP# and NJ waterfowl stamp you can get from any license agent. As far as turkey goes. You enter the lottery which opens sometime around the end of January and closes around Feb. 22nd. You will need to know what zone you plan on hunting in before you apply. There is an online map that tells you the different zones. 

Question 1. Yes you are legal to hunt small game in Deer management zones, so long as the type of small game you're after is in season, I like to hunt squirrel in zone 4. Lots of open woods and fairly close to me, also loooooaaaaadded with the buggers!!

Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Im 16 years old and new to hunting. I will be getting my license next fall, and have a few questions about getting started. My parents aren't in to hunting neither Is my family, so I don't have a mentor. I would like you start hunting squirrel and rabbit. I have many questions and am looking for a someone to guide me in the right direction. I don't need any negative comments due to my lack of knowledge. I have done many hours of research but still am unable to find some answers. Here are some of the questions.

1. Am I able to hunt small game in deer hunting zones or dmz

2. How does the stamp process work for migratory birds and turkey

3. If hunting with a firearm do I need my father to accompany me with his fid?

Also any general information or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to join this community and am looking foward for some guidance and help. Thank you

Al, first, let me speak for all the guys/women on here and welcome you to the tradition and pursuit of hunting.  Hunting can be traced back almost 2 million years so you are involved in an activity that is part of what makes us human.  Your learning process will be filled with so many memorable moments, some great and no so great but always memorable.  

Hunting can be solitary such as archery or a group activity such as waterfowl or deer camp.  Whatever you choose, be safe, obey all regulations and give it your best.

Question for you:  Since mom/dad or family don't hunt, what was it about hunting that interested you to want to get involved in it?  We would all like to know.  Let us know if we can help you further. 

I love the outdoors and I have a strong interest in wildlife. I would like to start hunting to expand my knowledge and to learn the skills of hunting to better me. Also I love to cook, and am interested in tasting new meats. I love the idea I will be able to know exactly where my meat came from. I feel every person that eats meat should have to go through the process of hunting and cleaning their own meat. I am very excited to begin my journey into the world of hunting