• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

My New Xpedition Xplorer SS

6 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Bully

Bully

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12/11/16 - 04:58 AM

I've been all over the map on which bow to buy. I've posted here a bunch and gotten some very solid advice both publicly on the forums and privately via PM and even phone. I finally pulled the trigger on the Xplorer SS, sight unseen. This sub-forum and the other sources made it pretty clear that the bow I finally chose was a great choice. I ordered it 12/5/16 and picked it up tonight, 12/10/16. A super fast turn around by any estimation. 

2017 Xplorer SS
Black riser
Defcon Limbs
28/65# (67# actual)
QAD HDX
Spott Hogg Bulletproof sight
Fuse carbon stab
Treelimb standard 3 arrow quiver-spraybomb black

356gn arrow: 306
400gn arrow(my hunting setup): 296

Bow was set up by both Jimmy and Mark at Agony Outdoors in Waldwick, NJ (201-444-7270). 

First impressions:
This is one tiny a@@ed little bow. Super compact. And very manageable weight wise. Fit and finish is very nice as well. The setup of the bow was spot on and accomplished without my knowledge as I didn't think I would see it for another week at least (Thanks Blake!!!). After throwing on a safety "release" and drawing the bow a couple of times it became immediately apparent that this is a completely different animal from what I had been shooting. We hit the target room and Mark set up my peep and kisser button for me. I strapped on a real release and did just a touch of shooting. 

Draw cycle:
The draw, to me, is very "linear" feeling. It's not as "round" as my single cam (no real surprise) but just a straight build up of energy to the drop off. There is a tiny little hump and then she drops off. The drop is something for me to get used to. My last bow was so easily guided into the wall as to almost feel like I was cheating. This is gonna take a minute. However once I get there I know the transition will be seamless. 

Release and hold:
The bow comes to the wall and just holds. I've drawn several different bows and this one is just what I have been looking for. It just holds. It's not a huge valley, nor is it tiny. It just kind of "is". It's not yanking me forward a la a Hoyt, nor is it the grand canyon of my single. It just holds. Solid. And very, very steady. There isn't a lot of wobble. No shake. It's maneuverable as all get out, but steady. On the release it just... goes. No fanfare. 

The shot:
Pull the trigger and off it goes. Just like that. Very quiet. Honestly if I hadn't pulled the trigger I wouldn't have known that it went off. No shock on the shot. No vibe at all. Just the smack of the arrow hitting the target. That smack of the arrow impacting the target is what really made me know that the bow popped off. It certainly wasn't anything else. Everything happens just so, very, well. 

All in I have no complaints. The bow is fast, quiet and smooth. It's beautifully put together and a joy to shoot. I'm going to get it sighted in and have it in the woods next week. I'm super pumped about it.

Thanks again to Jimmy and Mark at Agony Outdoors. And thanks to the crew at Xpedition and Blake for putting out, and getting the word out about some very nice bows. 

Christopher

(Pics to follow)

• Like x 4
  • List

I used to be "Topher"

#2 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 12/11/16 - 07:23 AM

Nice... :up:

:D

#3 Male ONLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12/11/16 - 07:59 AM

Xpedition makes amazing bows. Glad you went that direction. The Denali is at the top of my short list for the next bow I'm buying

"that helpful a**hole"

#4 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12/11/16 - 08:14 AM

quality bow and company, good luck and enjoy

#5 Male OFFLINE   Russman

Russman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01/08/17 - 06:06 PM

I shoot a 2015 Xcentric. I shot every flagship bow and I made the right choice

#6 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01/09/17 - 07:28 AM

Congrats on your purchase. I shoot a 2016 Xcentric 7 and am happy with my decision. Xpedition has a couple in their 2017 lineup that Im interested in but think Ill get a few seasons under my belt with the 16. Good luck with the bow Topher

#7 Male OFFLINE   Bully

Bully

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01/09/17 - 07:56 AM

Thanks folks. 

If anyone is ever up in northern NJ and wants to give the bow a try shoot me a PM.  I'm a 28" draw so fairly common.  It's your to take a few shots on.  My only caution is that you may want to take one home shortly afterwards.

I used to be "Topher"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users