IGNORED

what is a good small boat/kayak for waterfowl?

mazzgolf

OK, I'm going to have to start researching this to get ready for next year. Too late now to rush but, I'm going to start looking to see what is needed and if I can afford it. Sssshhh, don't tell my wife :whistling:

What is a good, small starter boat - like a kayak or something - I can throw in the back of a truck bed - for waterfowling? I just need something to get me where I need to go, and then something to paddle out to retrieve ducks that are downed and possibly to retrieve decoys if its too deep to wade out for retrieval. Note: I'm not going to do any coastal hunting.

I assume people do this with small paddle boats like kayaks???  :think:

Something to be able to take out with me a dozen decoys, my gun and ammo, and a place to store the down birds. Having a trolling motor would be nice to save my arms from having to paddle too far.

Take your time, do some research and find something STABLE! Yaks are fine when its warm but this time of year when you have a heavy jacket on cold water one dip could prove lethal. Four years ago i helped a kid who took a dip get out of the water, by the time we got to the parking area his clothes were so frozen he could not dig out his keys. If I wasn't there to get him unfroze in my truck i think hypo would have done him in. It all seems like a fun but waterfowl can be a dangerous sport, dont ever forget that

AWM

i use an old town 119. its as small as a kayak but its a canoe. can be paddle with single paddle or double. comes in red, green, or camo. about $800. plenty big enough for waterfowl hunting and can be camo very easy. i use mine for camping, fishing, trapping, waterfowl. yet is still big enough if you had to throw a deer in the front. 

light enough that i can carry with one hand. or on shoulder with absolutely no problem. extremely easy to throw up on truck, suv, or car. canoe is 11 feet 9 inches yet very stable, i have stood up in it on calm water, but has a canoe shape for semi rough water

Take your time, do some research and find something STABLE! Yaks are fine when its warm but this time of year when you have a heavy jacket on cold water one dip could prove lethal. Four years ago i helped a kid who took a dip get out of the water, by the time we got to the parking area his clothes were so frozen he could not dig out his keys. If I wasn't there to get him unfroze in my truck i think hypo would have done him in. It all seems like a fun but waterfowl can be a dangerous sport, dont ever forget that

Yes. Agreed. I plan on taking my time. Not buying anything for this season. I'll just mooch the rest of the season to get on my friend's boat :) But I totally agree about the stability issue. That's why I was wondering if people actually do this on a kayak. But I like the looks of these mentioned - beavertail, hellbender. Those look like what I would want and seem to be more stable. I don't plan on going out on open coastal waters - mainly lakes, back creeks and maybe the river if its calm. Gonna do lots more research - but some of the names mentioned here are a good start.

Yes. Agreed. I plan on taking my time. Not buying anything for this season. I'll just mooch the rest of the season to get on my friend's boat :) But I totally agree about the stability issue. That's why I was wondering if people actually do this on a kayak. But I like the looks of these mentioned - beavertail, hellbender. Those look like what I would want and seem to be more stable. I don't plan on going out on open coastal waters - mainly lakes, back creeks and maybe the river if its calm. Gonna do lots more research - but some of the names mentioned here are a good start.

Good luck, it is a very addicting sport. First it's a boat, then its dekes, calls and more gear gear gear. Then eventually a dog for retrieving like the one in my avatar LOL the insanity never ends.

AWM

I use a beavertail final attack with a 6.5 mud motor. Gets me through a lot of places where I'd struggle with a yak or canoe. Mainly use it on rivers/flooded timber, wouldn't use it in places that have the possibility of getting some swells

I'm seriously looking at the Beavertail boats - particular the Final Attack that you mention. Looks to be 8' long which should fit in the back of the truck. I mainly would use it in lakes but maybe on the river and tributaries sometimes during calm weather.

Thoughts on electric trolling motors? I don't plan on going too far with this on the river (maybe 2 miles round trip) - and any lakes I plan on going to are electric-only.

I am thinking a freshwater 55-lb. Not sure if I need a saltwater one if I don't plan on taking it in the river a lot. But I don't know if that's smart. I'm not sure if just occasional use in brackish water would still mean I should get a saltwater motor (???). How bad is the risk for corrosion on the freshwater motors if its just a few times a year in the river?