IGNORED

Cooking backstrap medallions?

If she likes her steak well done, don't cook her venison. It's nasty that way. I like to cook the backstrap in sections about 6-8 inches long and slice after resting it. Cook it medium to medium rare. 

If you are really set on cooking venison and not medium to medium rare, try doing something like a veal parm, but with venison. Cut the backstraps about 1/2 inch thick, bread and fry, then bake them like you would chicken or veal parm. I have done that a few times to rave reviews from even snobby city people.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Like DV1 said above, just like doing chicken parm..I cut them thin, then pound them out even thinner. Quick fry them with bread crumbs in oil and garlic (just enough to brown the bread crumbs). Line a glass pan with sauce and lay the breaded loins or (cutlets) like we use on the sauce. Cover the venison with mozzarella, and pecorino romano cheese sprinkled on top. Wrap the glass tray with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350* for only 15-20 minutes until the cheese melts, careful not to overcook..... This my kids favorite way to have the venison. I think it is truly better than veal made this way!

Edited by LPJR

I used to slice the loins into medallions..  Last few years I am more addicted to leaving the backstraps in thirds.  Marinate well - and grill rare to med-rare...  It's so juicy and delicious that way.  Save the steaks and cutlets for pan frying often smashing them thin with a meat mallet first and trimming away the silver skin.   Anymore, I think it's a crime to not marinate and grill the backstraps.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Anymore, I think it's a crime to not marinate and grill the backstraps.

Grilling is great but if you have a smoker, try smoking them. That's becoming my favorite way to eat them now. Doesn't take long to hit an IT of 130, which is where you want to pull them off because you need to sear them on the hot grill after removing from the smoker before resting but wow, they are great smoked. Hit them with basic salt and pepper, or the McCormicks Mesquite seasoning packet, or even that coffee rub mentioned in another thread on here. I like smoking with mesquite wood, or hickory and have even used pecan a few times which works well with venison. Mesquite wood is a stronger flavor but that smoke goes really well with venison and I use it the most. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I used to slice the loins into medallions..  Last few years I am more addicted to leaving the backstraps in thirds.  Marinate well - and grill rare to med-rare...  It's so juicy and delicious that way.  Save the steaks and cutlets for pan frying often smashing them thin with a meat mallet first and trimming away the silver skin.   Anymore, I think it's a crime to not marinate and grill the backstraps.

yes cook them without cutting them they will retain the juices and flavor then cutting them up

1/2 inch thick,salt and pepper,olive oil and butter in the pan. med rare....period.  imo, well done venison is for the dogs

The only thing different I do, is I give each piece a tiny splash of worcestishire sauce or teriyaki while in the frying pan... This might be a good plan for the mother in law, it's unbelievably delicious.

When not on the grill ,I cut into 4 -6 oz portions and fry in butter in which I have just previously cooked onions in as a topping.  On the grill 8 oz piece that has been marinating in olive oil and garlic since the morning.  Why would  anyone  waster a loin on parmesan is beyond me, the other cuts do just fine. To each their own, I'm not judging. 

My favorite way for me is a little oil in a cast iron pan real hot, season the medallions with garlic salt and black pepper, place medallions in hot oil for about 1 minute per side or until desired how you like your meat cooked. That's the way I grew up having them. when ever we cut up our deer we would be at the kitchen table butchering up a deer we would be cooking the loins up while cutting the rest up.  But if you are doing it for you mother in law I would go with deer loin parmesan. I make in a few times a year and is always great. Can't go wrong with it that way.